WiscNet is a non-profit organization that provides internet connectivity to educational and government entities within the state of Wisconsin. WiscNet's membership consists of over 400 member sites.
WiscNet's current membership includes
- Private Colleges, Universities, Technical College Systems
- Most K-12 School Districts
- State of Wisconsin Government
- Many Local Governments
- Cities and Counties
- Public Libraries
- Not for profit Healthcare Systems
- Other non profit organizations such as Public Museums, Business Incubators
WiscNet peers openly and aggressively at each exchange point to which we connect, which presently includes:
For IP address information, recommended prefix limits, peering facilities, please see our PeeringDB entry.
- We require peers to have and maintain a PeeringDB record.
- We will not peer with anyone who is a WiscNet transit customer.
- We exchange routes using BGP4. We prefer to peer directly.
- We are a multicast enabled network. If your network is multicast aware, we prefer to exchange both unicast and multicast routes.
- We have over a decade of experience deploying IPv6 networks and, we'd really be happy to exchange IPv6 routes in addition to v4.
- We can use BGP authentication keys if required.
- We require that peers announce the same routing policy at all points where they peer with us, unless other arrangements are made.
- Private peers must, and public peers are encouraged to, have NOCs with email addresses, phone numbers, and 24x7 coverage. Technical contact information must be provided.
- Peers must agree to actively cooperate chasing security violations, denial of service attacks, and similar incidents.
- Peers must not abuse the peering relationship by doing any of the following non exhaustive list: pointing default, resetting next hop, selling or giving next hop to others, sending prefixes longer than /24, and so forth.
- We reserve the right to temporarily suspend peering if it is determined to be causing harm to the WiscNet network. Peering may resume once the problem is resolved.
- We reserve the right to not peer with anyone as we see fit and to terminate any peering at any time with 30 days notice.
- We reserve the right to change this policy with 30 days notice.